CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Day Five

Another village was slaughtered. In a few years, nobody will remember that place and there will be no trace of these people who lived in that place. Bushes and trees will soon cover up the whole area, and there will be no traces of blood left there. The entire village had been tortured even though they were not rebels nor did they do any harm to the loyalists. But they were slaughtered because they helped us. So if they hadn't helped us, would they be alive now? Would the village be alive with smoke from fire and laughter of children if we had been a little earlier? I can't help feeling guilty about this whole thing. I was tired and wanted to eat more and rest a little longer. I thought that I deserved all that. Now that I come here and see what these people have gone through, I hate myself so much for being so greedy. These people here could have been waiting for me desperately, just to save themselves. They wouldn’t want food or water at that time. All they would ask for it to spare their lives. And here I was, always ready to rest and relax while a few miles away, these people would have been being tortured to death. I saved lives of two innocent victims of the war today. One was a girl about my age, and the other, just a little infant. When I found the girl in the middle of the forest, I wanted to help her badly, not thinking about what I’d really do. I just ran back to the village and called for help. When the girl finally got to rest I felt much better. But I couldn’t help thinking about the village which now was a grave and promised myself to never forget that place.

Image citation: http://www.vanityfair.com/images/politics/2007/07/poar03a_darfur0707.jpg

0 comments: